SOPA has published a Manifesto in advance of the 2021 elections.
The Manifesto sets out six recommendations that we believe should be priorities for the next Scottish Government. It is based on the views of our members, the experiences from their organisations working with older people and from SOPA’s outreach and consultation activities. The recommendations are:
- Deliver on the findings of the Independent Review of Adult Social Care. Issues of particular importance to our members include:
- Home care and residential care should be funded adequately and sustainably to deliver equitable and quality care for all older people
- Health and social care workers should be paid fairly and provided with appropriate training and career paths
- Nutritious meals must be provided to older people as part of care services
- Support the appointment of an Older People’s Champion in every local authority
- Support the restoration of free TV licence
- Encourage the take up of pension credit
- Deliver affordable digital inclusion for older people
- Commitment to the rights of older people in COVID recovery through Age-friendly Communities.